Tuesday 29 March 2011

Memories

An old lady with dark brown hair was slowly making her way through the paths of the park, enjoying the first beautiful spring day. She loved the warmth of the sun on her wrinkled skin and soft wind in her short curly hair. She cut her hair short a year ago when the illness took away the strength from her hands and she couldn’t wash her long hair anymore. She mourned after her long curls were cut; her dark brown hair was the only thing she had left from her youth.

After an hour of walking she was tired and she sat on a bench facing the sun. She leaned back, closed her eyes and saw her young self  laying on the  freshly cut grass and her yet-to-be-husband was looking at her with sparkles in his eyes. In that moment she knew he’s the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. He was tall and handsome, with blonde hair and deep blue eyes. He was a real gentleman, always so considerate and kind. They could spend hours talking about books they both read or sit together and read poems or newspapers. He wrote poems for her and brought her a flower on every date.

They were madly in love even after many years of marriage and after raising four children. He was always there for her and their kids. He was the best husband and father in the world. He always wore a smile on his face; he knew when someone needed comforting words and he also always knew what to say. People felt better when he was around even if they were going through a rough time.

His death was the hardest time in her life. She lost her best friend, her lover and confidant. She was never prepared for something like this. She expected it, they all did. He was sick for years and she knew he would be gone soon. But she never expected life would be so hard without him. She had to learn how to live without her sweetheart.

She opened her eyes and the picture of her husband smiling at her was gone. Instead she saw kids playing and laughing on the freshly cut grass. She looked around and saw a young couple on the next bench. They were madly in love, she could see it. The boy was looking at the girl with the same sparkle in his eyes she saw many years ago in her husbands eyes when he was looking at her. She wondered if they too would stay together forever. She wondered if years from now that young girl would be sitting on a bench in the park, wondering the same things about the young couple on the next bench. 

14 comments:

  1. True, true, true. When we are young: we thing we are forever young, invincible, indestructible. and then life happens. I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story, I could see each of the scenes and the sentiment at the end left me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn you for pulling at my heartstrings with such a sweet story...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is the most beautiful thing I've read in a long time. Thank you for sharing that. Wow. I have missed you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good makes a person think a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt this was a beautiful snapshot of a moment in time. I really liked the way you wrote this post and the story as it developed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nostalgic piece..and emotional too....sometimes I wonder how it would be some time in future...the story was written beautifully....

    ReplyDelete
  8. starlight! i love reading this.. i've been caught up with so many things that i feel like i haven't blogged for ages. :( i miss reading your stories.. and this one is so refreshing. keep writing girl! tc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Barbara - Thanks for your comment, I'm glad that you liked this story.

    @Shopgirl - Thank you so much!

    @Robbie - LoL :) I'm glad that you liked it.

    @Cinderita - Thank you so much for your sweet words! It means so much to me... I've missed you too... *hug*

    @Doria - Thanks!

    @Anonymous - Thank you!

    @Happy Frog and I - Thank you Froggy, I'm really glad that you liked it.

    @Caterpillar - Thank you. I'm also wondering sometimes...

    @Maria - Thank you, I'm honoured that you read my blog since you're so very busy :)I miss you :/ *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love how descriptive you are. You take me right there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you always amaze me with your entry....I'm back and sorry i was really busy but I keep on reading your entry thru my google reader:) keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. True how life passes by in a flash, and suddenly we are old, looking back on our lives, and watching the young ones, knowing what they'll be going through. Bittersweet piece, Starlight. Wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete